Thursday 1 March 2018

Hello! Welcome to my blog!


Hello! Welcome to my blog!

In this blog, Customs of Eating: British versus American, I will be looking critically at the distinct differences in the way British customs around food distinguish themselves from their American counterparts by comparing television personalities, food blogs, eating out and preparing food, in each respective culture.


I am an American college student from San Diego, California currently studying abroad in London, and since being here I have noticed some distinct differences in the way we eat and think about food/cooking, from the lack of spices to tipping the waiters, and even the atmosphere around food. This blog will mainly focus on comparing and contrasting the literary contexts in which each country interprets and represents food.


Since Victorian-era cookbooks, publishing recipes have always mingled with social instruction. In this way, they have been advising and shaping, as well as keeping record of the roles of “the servantless household cook” (to quote the incomparable Julia Child).  But more modernly, people tune in to cooking shows or go scrolling through websites and social media for recipes and role models to run a kitchen – this is not to say cookbooks have desolated all modern kitchens, only, they collect more dust in lieu of television programming. The women, and, to a lesser extent, men, who host these shows are figureheads of their time and place, which make them a perfect exemplar of area-specific food culture. 

The texts I will be using to accompany my blog will stay modern, as I will be looking at modern customs. I will be using things like episodes of the Pioneer Woman and Mary Berry, food blogs from London Food Babes and Serious Eats, dinner recipes from Food Network (U.S.A.) and BBC (U.K.), as well as passages from Charles Dickens and Cormac McCarthy
. These posts will be mixed with my own observations and experiences, and conversations I have with British peers.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment